Creamy Mashed Potatoes

Friday, November 30, 2012

For the longest time, I made mediocre mashed potatoes. However, once I came across some mashed potato recipes, I tried them and to my surprise they turned out really good! The key to obtaining that thick, sticky mashed potato dish is mixing with a mixer, hence the term here should be mixing not mashing. In all honesty I never EVER thought of using a mixer for mashed potatoes, but this is the trick that helps to make them sticky, thick and oh-so creamy! However, be warned! Overbeating can cause a gummy-like dish, since it breaks down cells and releases more of the starch. I love the mashed potatoes served at The Keg, so this recipe is as close to it as possible. Of course, I will try to perfect it over the years!


Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Prep time: 25 min        Cook Time: 25 min           Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients
- 4-6 medium potatoes (I use Yukon Gold), peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper

Directions
1. Boil potatoes in a large pot until cooked thoroughly, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside. In a small saucepan, warm up milk, cream and butter. Add to potatoes and mash with a potato masher until chunky.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat potatoes on low speed for 30 seconds. Do not exceed one minute. If potatoes are too dry, add more milk/cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.

Variations:
If you want garlic mashed potatoes, either boil 2 cloves of minced garlic with the potatoes or add 1 tsp garlic powder when adding salt and pepper.

Print Friendly and PDF



Where I link up my posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...