Zucchini Nut Muffins

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The other day, I bought some zucchini because I heard you can make so much with it. I never baked with it (I guess it was the thought that it was like a cucumber...who would eat a cucumber loaf?). I just thought it was a great veggie to eat along-side your steak or chicken. But I wasn't making any steak anytime soon so I figured I'll use it in a recipe and finally try zucchini bread. I searched online for recipes and found this one. I modified it - making muffins instead of a loaf, adding whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour, and using natural bran to compensate for the other cup of flour. I wanted them to be tasty but healthy. I now eat these every morning for coffee before going to work! Hope you enjoy them as well!


Zucchini Nut Muffins
Prep time: 5 min        Cook Time: 25-30 min           Yield: 12-16 muffins

Ingredients
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup natural bran
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium-sized grated zucchinis
- Quick rolled oats for topping


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Add baking cups to muffin pans. You will need 2 12-cup muffin pans for this recipe, depending on how much you fill each cup.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, bran, sugar, walnuts, chocolate chips, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Stir well.
3. In a separate bowl, beat zucchini, eggs and oil. Add to dry ingredients all at once, stirring until just moistened.
4. Spoon approximately 2 tablespoons of batter into prepared muffin pans. Fill to three-quarters full for a regular sized muffin or full for a large sized muffin. For my batch, I filled three-quarters of the pan. Sprinkle each muffin with some quick rolled oats
5. Bake for 20 minutes for regular-sized muffins or 30 minutes for larger-sized muffins.

Variations:
If you prefer all-purpose flour and no bran, use 2 cups all-purpose flour and omit bran.
Use chopped pecans instead of walnuts.
Replace zucchini with shredded carrots.

Replace chocolate chips with dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, cherries, blueberries).


Print Friendly and PDF


Where I link up my posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...