Icebox Cranberry Noel Cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Yield: About 50-60 cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cups icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, cranberries and chopped walnuts. Add to butter mixture beating until combined. Divide dough into two even balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour, or freeze for 20 minutes. When ready to roll, let dough stand at room temperature until soft enough to roll out.
3. Between two waxed papers, roll out one dough ball to approximately 1/4-inch thickness. Using a round cookie cutter, cut out cookies. You can use shaped cookie cutters to make fun cookies. Alternatively, before you cool your dough, roll it out into a long log. This makes cookies easier to cut into circles. Transfer cut cookies onto parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. Repeat the same with the other half of the dough (or you can freeze it for future cookie times!). Refrigerate cookies for 15 minutes or until firm.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake cookies in center of oven until edges are golden, about 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on pans for about 5 minutes, then transfer to cooking rack to cool completely.
Replace dried cranberries with other dried fruit, such as cherries, currants or blueberries.
Instead of cranberries and walnuts, add chopped candied red and green cherries for a festive and delicious cookie.
Where I link up my posts!