Linzer Sandwich Cookies
Prep time: 30 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes Yield: About 24-30 cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cups raspberry jam (I used plum butter)
1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Add to butter mixture beating until combined. Divide dough into two even balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour, or freeze for 20 minutes. When ready to roll, let dough stand at room temperature until soft enough to roll out.
3. Between two waxed papers, roll out one dough ball to approximately 1/4-inch thickness. Using a fluted cookie cutter, cut out cookies. If you have a fluted cookie cutter with shapes in the middle, make sure to make equal amounts of center cut-outs and regular cut-outs (in order to make sandwich cookies). Transfer cut cookies onto parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. Repeat the same with the other half of the dough (or you can freeze it for future cookie times!). Refrigerate cookies for 15 minutes or until firm.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake cookies in center of oven until edges are golden, about 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on pans for about 5 minutes, then transfer to cooking rack to cool completely. Spread tablespoon of jam onto bottoms of each cookie. Dust confectioners' sugar over decorative tops. Sandwich together the jam-covered bottoms with sugar-dusted tops. Enjoy!
Where I link up my posts!