Stuffed Bell Peppers with Rice
Prep time: 10 min Cook Time: 60 min Yield: 5-6 servings
- 5-6 bell peppers (depending on the size of each pepper)
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 lb ground pork and 1/2 lb ground veal
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1/2 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 medium potato, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups tomato juice (or very runny tomato sauce)
- 1 tsp celery salt
1. Wash bell peppers. Cut off tops and clean out seeds and stems from inside. Make sure no seeds or stems remain. In a small saucepan, add rice and boiling water. Cover and allow water to "cook" the rice (No need to cook the rice as it will cook with the stuffed peppers).
2. In a pan, heat oil. Add onion and fry until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add ground meat and brown until meat is done, about 10 minutes. Add carrots and seasoning. Stir and cook another 4 minutes.
3. Fill peppers with ground meat mixture. Cover each pepper hole with potato, to ensure no stuffing escapes when you cook the peppers.
4. In a deep pot, arrange peppers so they are standing upright. Pour in tomato juice and season with celery salt. Make sure that the tomato juice comes just below the pepper opening. If 2 cups is not enough add more tomato juice; if it is too much then use enough as needed. Cook on medium heat, covered, for an hour or until peppers are soft. Serve with tomato juice.
Where I link up my posts!