Thankful

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

This weekend we celebrated Thanksgiving. We had two lovely (and filling!) dinners at both parents' homes. I was thinking of what I was thankful for this year. I started off with the common things I am always thankful for: health, happiness, love, family, friends, job. But different this year than any other year's passed, I was mostly thankful for life.

Last week I witnessed a horrible accident that happened only two cars away from me, right in front of me. On a two-way high-speed road, the oncoming car ended up clipping the tire from the car that was only two cars ahead of me, flipped onto its hood and came sliding and spinning down the lane. Because I was already at a stall from the traffic, I stood there like a deer in headlights watching this (what seemed like a giant) machine coming towards our direction. I didn't move, I didn't know what to do. The only thing that passed through my mind was "it is going to slam into me!" In what seemed like minutes, the car in front of me quickly diverted to the right which I followed suit. Thankfully, as the car was spinning in its path it caught onto the gravel and slowed down, stopping only a few feet off to the side from where I was stopped gazing at the sight, trying to comprehend what was happening. The pieces from the car came flying everywhere, hitting and denting up my car.

After calling 911, I sat there watching everyone rush to the aid of those in both cars. I was thinking just how close that car came to me. Then a swarm of emotions came to me. I started thinking of the "what ifs" - what if I had left work early by a minute or two I would have been right behind that car; what if that car didn't stop from the gravel and instead came my way; what if the car that got clipped had been pushed backwards from the force and cause the cars in front of me to crash into me? There were so many emotions and thoughts that rushed through my mind that day and the next. I felt so traumatized at the thought that this rollover happened right in front of me.

There are so many things from that day that I have to be thankful for. Thankfully the people in that car only suffered minor injuries, from what I read in the news. Thankfully the car didn't collide into more cars than one. Thankfully I had left work when I had. I am so thankful to God for the blessings that He has given me each and every day. And most importantly, guarding me from what may have happened that day. I now see how precious life is. I now see how life can be taken away so easily. I am very thankful for everything I have and for all the joys and gifts that He has blessed my life, and this was a great reminder of all that I do have.

2 comments:

  1. Wow how scary! Glad the people were okay and praises to God that you were safe. His protections means so much when you see clearly all that he protects us from.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...